Thursday, February 6, 2014

wisdom teeth

I finally got my wisdom teeth out after yeeears of putting it off!

What happened was a few years ago I was thinking about going into the dental field so I started shadowing an oral surgeon to help build my resume. I got to watch a wisdom teeth procedure and was mortified by what I saw. Seriously, the surgeon was so rough on his patient.  He pushed and pulled and shoved and hacked away at their teeth while blood and pieces of teeth/bone were spraying out of their mouth. It was intense. That definitely made me want to avoid the whole wisdom tooth ordeal for awhile. 

So, a few months ago it hits me that neither Zack nor I have seen a dentist in 3 years. I make an appointment, we get our teeth checked, and we have zero cavities! Booyah. Then they tell me that my wisdom teeth are impacted. Shoot. So I cowboy up and make an appointment with the best oral surgeon I can find in SB. 

The morning I go into get my wisdom teeth out I start feeling really anxious. The dental assistant knew how nervous I was feeling so she hooked me up to some laughing gas and turned it up full blast, haha! It was so strong I thought I was going to throw up at first, then it made me feel like I was floating and all I wanted to do was laugh. Zack and the nurse started asking me questions but I could barely speak. I was flying hiiigh hahah. Then the surgeon comes in, starts cracking jokes, and hooks me up to the IV. We keep talking for a couple of minutes and I'm not feeling tired at all. So I ask, "You're knocking me out for this right??" he laughs and says, "Oh, you wanted to be asleep for this?" just messing me. As soon as I start saying "YES" I pass out and the next thing I know is I'm waking up. When I woke up I was fully coherent. I was scared I was going to act like a crazy person rambling bizarre things, but I was fully me. I'm not sure why people act so whack after getting their teeth out. I couldn't talk because my mouth was full of gauz, so whenever I wanted to say something I would just write it out on my phone and show it to Zack. Even though I could think perfectly normal, I couldn't walk straight... or really walk at all haha. It was great. 

The procedure wasn't bad at all, the recovery.. was a nightmare. As soon as we got home I took the pain meds, as directed, and they instantly made me start throwing up. I decided just to sleep awhile and try again later. I had to look in the mirror while I ate that entire first day because if I didn't it would fall out of my mouth. I iced my face nonstop which helped it not to swell too crazily. It took a little over a week of relaxing and eating liquids before I felt normal again. Ahhh, I'm so glad it's over. 

Go ahead and have a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment