Wednesday, February 13, 2013

concussion


Nikole, Stephen, Zack and I went snowboarding last Wednesday night. 
Everything started out perfect..


I was sooo happy to be back in my element. Few things make me happier than snowboarding. Is that sad? It doesn't help that I now live next to the ocean and far from this fluffy white stuff. So whenever we're in Utah I have to take advantage of snow.


Well it wasn't exactly fluffy when we went.. more like sheets of ice. It was still a lot of fun though! After a few runs we found the park and I got so excited I couldn't help myself, despite the ice.. it wasn't even a great park! Just a few rainbow, c, kinked, boxes/rails whatever. Anyways when I hit the last feature I was going SO fast, because of the ice, and the last thing I remember seeing was my feet hit the ground. Next thing I know I can feel my brain bounce around inside my skull, or so it felt like, and when I opened my eyes I was laying on my back. Super weird.

I've had a lot of hard falls snowboarding, banged my head, gotten concussions, broken my nose.... but nothing compared to the pain I felt in my head when I fell. I was pretty shell shocked, dizzy and SO nauseous.

Zack was already upset I didn't bring my helmet so as soon as I opened my eyes after the crash I could see the look of horror/anger on his face. Yikes, sorry babe! I didn't want to scare him so I pretended like I was fine. We did another run before Zack and I left. That entire last run felt like a dream, kinda like how it feels when you get laughing gas at the dentist, just a lot more pain.


I started feeling worse and worse so we went to the ER. When we got there I realized my pelvis hurt really bad too which made it hard to walk. The pain in my head was so bad I hand't even noticed. Anyways... I had to wait in the emergency room for an hour before I could see a doctor. There were a lot of tears. 

I was shaking like I had the worst shivers of all time and I couldn't stop, it was so weird. Finally when they saw me they took me to get a CT scan and put 4 heated blankets on me. Finally I stopped shaking. We did more waiting while they examined the CT scan and then they gave me some medicine so that I wouldn't throw up.

The scan came back looking good! No swelling or bleeding in my head. We were so relieved. The doctor told me I had a grade 2 concussion and he was worried about my pelvis. He told me not to be active or even get my heart rate up for the next week. 

It's been a week today and I still have a migraine and get nauseous when I move too fast. It blows and I cant workout or be too active until my head feels better. I'm hoping it'll end soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment